June is National Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month. And it’s no wonder—during the warm summer months many fresh fruits and vegetables are at their peak. So take advantage of nature’s bounty and make an effort to include more fruits and vegetables into your family’s diet. Here are some recipes to help:
TILAPIA & SUMMER VEGETABLE PACKETS
- 1 cup quartered cherry, or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced summer squash
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 12 green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup pitted and coarsely chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 4 equal portions
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine tomatoes, squash, onion, green beans, olives, lemon juice, oregano, oil, capers, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- To make a packet, lay two 20-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the contents from burning); generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Place one portion of tilapia in the center of the foil. Sprinkle with some of the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, then top with about ¾ cup of the vegetable mixture.
- Bring the short ends of the foil together, leaving enough room in the packet for steam to gather and cook the food. Fold the foil over and pinch to seal. Pinch seams together along the sides. Make sure all the seams are tightly sealed to keep steam from escaping. Repeat with more foil, cooking spray and the remaining fish, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Grill the packets until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. To serve, carefully open both ends of the packets and allow the steam to escape. Use a spatula to slide the contents onto plates.
Calories: 180 | Fat: 7g fat | Fiber: 2g | Carbs: 7g | Protein: 24g
THAI-STYLE BEEF & MELON SALAD
- 12 ounces beef sirloin, or other boneless steak, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- ½-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium-to-large firm ripe melon
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 6 cups lightly packed torn Boston lettuce, (about 1 head)
- ½ cup slivered red onion
- ½ cup thin cucumber slices, halved
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup lightly packed torn fresh mint leaves
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare and 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise.
- Meanwhile, whisk lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl. Cut melon into enough 5-inch-long matchsticks to make 4 cups. (Reserve any remaining melon for another use.) Cut bell peppers into 2-inch-long matchsticks. Combine the melon and peppers in a large bowl along with lettuce, onion, cucumber, cilantro and mint.
- Add the sliced beef to the salad. Whisk the dressing, pour it over the salad and gently toss to combine.
Serving size: about 2 cups
Calories: 149 | Fat: 3g | Fiber: 3g | Carbs: 18g | Protein: 15g
SUMMER VEGGIE OMELET
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn, zucchini, onions, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, water, pepper, egg whites, and egg, stirring well with a whisk. Coat pan with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into pan; cook until edges begin to set (about 2 minutes). Gently lift the edges of omelet with a spatula, tilting pan to allow uncooked egg mixture to come in contact with pan.
- Spoon corn mixture onto half of omelet; sprinkle corn mixture with cheese. Loosen omelet with a spatula, and fold in half over corn mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Carefully slide omelet onto a plate.
Calories: 281 | Fat: 10g | Fiber: 4g | Carbs: 25g | Protein: 25g
Leave a comment
Note: Some flavors may not be available in every size.