Get the party started with these four must have healthy holiday party hors d'oeuvres! Your friends and family will be forever grateful if you serve or bring healthy appetizers at your next holiday party. Sure, we all like the usual eggnog and spinach artichoke dips, but the holidays are indulgent enough without the extra contribution. Offering healthy appetizer recipes will be a breath of fresh air during the holiday season. Protein on protein on protein!
Meatballs are easy to forget about, but always a welcomed addition. Whip up a batch of these sweet and tangy meatballs, serve on toothpicks for the perfect fun appetizer!
Turkey Cranberry Meatballs
- 1 cup of barbecue sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 (20 ounce) package extra lean ground turkey
- 3 green onions, chopped small
- 1 Tablespoon of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (craisins)
- salt and pepper to taste
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl place the egg white and beat lightly. Add uncooked ground turkey, green onion, craisins, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with a large spoon or your hands until well blended. Shape into 28 balls. Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add your meatballs to the skillet; cook over medium high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in center, carefully turning occasionally to brown evenly.
- Pour your BBQ sauce over your meatballs and stir them around until they are all completely covered. Place the lid on and let them simmer on low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Serve with toothpicks.
Nutrition (4 Meatballs):
- Calories: 214 | Protein: 16g | Carbs: 20g | Fat: 6g
- 1 bag Quest Cheddar & Sour Cream Protein Chips
- 8 jalapeno peppers
- 6 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 2 1/2 ounces sharp light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice each jalapeño in half and remove seeds and membranes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Hand crush Quest Protein Chips into crumbs and place into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Spoon cheese mixture into each jalapeño half.
- Place egg white in a bowl that’s big enough to fit one of the jalapeño halves.
- Dip each jalapeño half in egg white and coat with chips.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add poppers to dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.
Nutrition (2 Poppers):
- Calories: 60 | Protein: 7g | Net Carbs: 3g | Fat: 2g
Mediterranean Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1/2 cup Walden Farms Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 tbsp kalamata olives, pitted & chopped
- 1 tbsp sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp caper brine
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- Cool and peel under cold running water. Slice the eggs in half carefully, and remove the yolks. Add the yolks to a medium bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a magic bullet or small food processor, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, capers, olives, sundried tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and caper brine. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Fold the mayo mixture into the mashed egg yolks until smooth. Taste, and season with salt and pepper as desired. Pipe or spoon into the egg white halves. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Nutrition (2 Egg Halves):
- Calories: 84 | Protein: 6g | Carbs: 1g | Fat: 5.5g
Chicken Rumaki w/ Chili BBQ Sauce
- 2lb skinless boneless chicken breast
- 6oz (13 slices) pastrami
- 1/5 cup bbq sauce
- 1 adobo chili pepper
- Put the bbq sauce in a pot a low heat. Add one adobo chili and stir occasionally.
- Dice the chicken breast so you have a dozen pieces.
- Wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of pastrami and seal with a toothpick
- Once the bbq sauce is warm, spoon over the middle of the raw rumaki.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and cook uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Turn the broiler to low and cook for three minutes for an extra crispy texture.
Nutrition (1 piece):
- Calories: 150 | Protein: 26g | Carbs: 3g | Fat: 3g